Old Town Hall

> Places of Interest

> Churches

> Babbs Bridge

> Parson Smith House

> Other Old Houses

> Old Town Hall

> Old Town Library

> Old Grocery

Home > Places of Interest > Old Town Hall

 

 

Old Town Hall

 

Windham Historical Society

234 Windham Center Road

 

 

Built in 1833 as the first town hall or town house, as it was called, this 40 ft. x 50 ft. brick structure has served as a meetinghouse, school, town office and a place to practice sports! Civil War enlistees gathered here to sign up. Town meetings were held here. From 1893 to 1910, it was a high school and elementary school classes were held here for 23 years.

 

In 1983, the last of the municipal offices moved out and the sturdy old brick building was turned over to the Historical Society. By 1998 the Society had made a small museum and turned the old town office into a meeting room and research center. Outside landscaping, including the herb garden, is done by volunteers. Workshops, programs and meetings are held continually and the historic building’s walk in vault provides safe storage for ancient records of the community.

Windham Historical Society
P.O. Box 1475 • Windham, Maine 04062 • (207) 892-1433 • info@windhamhistorical.org • ©2009 WHS