We present programs to the public nearly every month, as well as bus tours, open houses, workshops and participate in many town activities. The Society is a resource for any area of research regarding the history of the town, its organizations and families.
In 1967, several residents of Windham who felt a strong desire to preserve and share the town’s history, organized the Windham Historical Society. For many years, meetings were held in private homes and community meeting rooms.
In 1983, the Town House was turned over to the Historical Society when town offices were moved to the newly renovated community center. Membership grew and the Town House, built in 1833, was turned into a museum, with a library and office. A fireproof walk-in safe used by the municipal officers to store town records, became a useful place for the Society to store its many donated documents and artifacts.
Two other historic buildings were obtained in the 1990s, and renovated into museums consistent with their past use. All three sites – the town house, library and grocery – are maintained by the Society and open to the public.
In 1996 the Society applied for and received recognition by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501 (c) (3) organization. As such, all donations to the Society are tax deductible.
The Society museums and resources are open to the public from April to November at hours determined by membership. Appointments can be made for anyone visiting from outside the local area.
Call (207) 892-1433 or email email@example.com.